What is a doula?
The word doula comes from ancient Greek and now refers to "a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support before, during, and just after childbirth." (Klaus, Kennell, Klaus, in Mothering the Mother)
Studies show that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications, and babies are healthier and breastfeed more easily.
Below are some proven facts and statistics (from nine nationwide studies over 18 years) showing just some of the ways I can improve your birth:
With a doula, a mother is...
- less likely to need medical induction to start or augment labor
- less likely to use pain medication during labor and birth
- able to labor at home with doula support, and get expert assistance deciding when to leave for the hospital
- confident she and her partner are fully supported every step of the way
- 51% less likely to have a Cesarean Section
- 86% more likely to achieve a VBAC
- In addition, a doula typically reduces time in labor by 25%
I have formed a doula group with 3 amazing doulas based out of Luma Yoga in Santa Cruz. We are all caring and dedicated doulas…
Birthing families love the Team doula model of care all around the country, and we're happy to offer it to the South Bay and Santa Cruz. I look forward to chatting with you more on the phone or in person about how you envision doulas as part of your birth and what you want from your birth experience.
Kaili Reynolds, Mandy Lariz and Brandi Brewer and I bring combined decades of expertise, dozens of immersive trainings and hundreds of births to serve you.
As your Doula Team, we...
- Understand the physiology of birth and your emotional needs during labor, and provide an innate trust in the process and in you
- Assist you and your partner in preparing for and carrying out your wishes for birth and baby
- Make sure you are fully supported from the time you hire me, throughout your labor and baby's birth, and at home with baby
- Provide comprehensive emotional and physical comfort measures
- Give you an objective viewpoint and the unbiased information you need to make the best decisions possible in the moment
- Create the space for positive communication between you, your partner, and medical care providers
- Allow your partner to participate at his/her own comfort level
- Craft professional-quality pregnancy, birth, and family portrait photography
Serving the Greater South Bay &
Santa Cruz Area
(AND HOME BIRTHS EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN!)
I would be honored to connect with you… Let's discuss your hopes, needs and desires for doula support, and your upcoming birth!
We offer the benefit of group centering-style Community Prenatal meetings at Luma Yoga in Santa Cruz, 2nd and 4th Wednesday every month, on a drop-in basis. Please join us to meet the Luma Doula Team!