What is a doula?
The word doula comes from ancient Greek and now refers to "a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support before, during, and just after childbirth." (Klaus, Kennell, Klaus, in Mothering the Mother)
Studies show that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications, and babies are healthier and breastfeed more easily.
Below are some proven facts and statistics (from nine nationwide studies over 18 years) showing just some of the ways I can improve your birth:
With a doula, a mother is...
- less likely to need medical induction to start or augment labor
- less likely to use pain medication during labor and birth
- able to labor at home with doula support, and get expert assistance deciding when to leave for the hospital
- confident she and her partner are fully supported every step of the way
- 51% less likely to have a Cesarean Section
- 86% more likely to achieve a VBAC
- In addition, a doula typically reduces time in labor by 25%
As your doula, you can expect me to...
- Understand the physiology of birth and your emotional needs during labor, and provide an innate trust in the process and in you
- Assist you and your partner in preparing for and carrying out your wishes for birth and baby
- Make sure you are fully supported from the time you hire me, throughout your labor and baby's birth, and at home with baby
- Provide comprehensive emotional and physical comfort measures
- Give you an objective viewpoint and the unbiased information you need to make the best decisions possible in the moment
- Create the space for positive communication between you, your partner, and medical care providers
- Allow your partner to participate at his/her own comfort level
- Craft professional-quality pregnancy, birth, and family portrait photography
Serving the Greater South Bay &
Santa Cruz Area
(AND HOME BIRTHS EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN!)
I would be honored to connect with you… Let's discuss your hopes, needs and desires for doula support, and your upcoming birth!